Over the years, as men’s fashion has developed and welcomed a more relaxed and casual style, this shift has led to the increasing popularity of men’s tank tops. Though primarily used in the gym, they are now also worn for hitting the beach or going out for a casual evening with friends.
Distinguished activewear manufacturers bring vast collections of the coolest, most durable, and comfortable men’s fitness tank tops. These tops are available in a broad variety of colors, prints, designs, styles, and sizes.
If you are simply fascinated with tank tops and would like to know all about them, keep reading!
A Brief History of The Tank Tops
The tank tops have an interesting history that dates back several centuries. In the beginning, it was used as underwear or petticoat and was mainly used by people who practiced sports or workers who carried out physically demanding jobs. Though you will get to hear many stories about it, it’s said that the original invention is attributed to the French nobleman Jean Des Fauches for ripping the sleeves and collar of a shirt in a fit of anger.
Though they have been used ever since then, it wasn’t until the 1980s that they finally got recognition.
Famed Celebs Setting The Trend
The celebs play a vital role when it comes to setting fashion trends. Many well-known style icons and A-listers have been spotted wearing these versatile tops at different events and occasions, therefore solidifying their position as a fashion must-have.
Justin Bieber is one of the most popular celebs who has consistently embraced this trend. The pop sensation has been witnessed rocking them on and off-stage numerous times, smoothly pairing them with shorts, jeans, and even tailored suits. His jaw-dropping looks every time are a source of inspiration for fashion enthusiasts all around the world.
Chris Hemsworth is another well-known celebrity who has popularized men’s tank tops. To flaunt his well-toned, drool-worthy physique, the actor often reaches out for a tank top. His style has made these tops a go-to choice for men wishing to highlight their rugged and casual appearance.
Other names like Chace Crawford, David Beckham, Chris Pine, Colin Farell, and Will Smith are also included in this list.
What is The Difference Between Tank Tops and Singlets?
Many people get confused between singlets and tank tops. A large number think that they are the same. But are they? No!
Let’s start with the definitions.
What is A Tank Top?
Shirts that are sleeveless and are worn by both men and women are called tank tops. They come in different necklines and straps.
What is A Singlet?
A sleeveless, close-fitting clothing piece that can be worn in the place of a shirt or even an undershirt is called a singlet. It looks pretty similar to that of a vest and is mostly worn by wrestlers.
Now, let’s have a look at all those areas where the main differences lie.
While tank tops could have a slimmer cut or loose fit, singlets are clothing pieces that fit tight.
A lot of people use tank tops as a casual clothing piece, while singlets are mostly worn by athletes and wrestlers.
Tank tops are also referred to as A-shirts, sleeveless shirts, etc. while singlets are sometimes called vests.
When to Wear A Tank Top
Being flexible, they can be worn for a wide variety of occasions. Mentioned below are some ideas for when to wear one:
- For exercising, tank tops work as a great base layer because they wick sweat away and keep you cool and comfortable.
- As tank tops are breathable, they are ideal for lounging around the house in warm weather.
- Tank tops being more breathable than tees can be smoothly worn for running errands on a summer day.
- These tops are ideal for hot weather outdoor activities as they allow your skin to cool down in no time.
Why Wear Tank Tops to The Gym?
When it comes to gym workout sessions, wearing tank tops offers great benefits:
- In the comfort department, tank tops have you covered completely. These seemingly small pieces of clothing do a lot to provide the utmost comfort to the wearer. They allow airflow throughout the torso offering optimal temperature control to keep down sweating and the fact that the tank top can move without any restriction makes them very comfortable for the
- Trips to the gym mean a crazy amount of sweating and while doing cardio and weightlifting, you don’t want a heavy clothing piece weighing you down, do you? Your workout becomes more manageable when you can control sweat better. Tank tops offer far more satisfying workout sessions as the material is designed to not only absorb sweat but dry much more quickly than heavier materials.
- A tank top helps you show off all your back and arm muscles for which you worked hard. It encourages you to achieve more with your workout. How? Well, watching your muscles restrict and contract can be some motivation.
The Must-Have Gym Tank Tops
If you are a hardcore fitness lover, these gym tank tops deserve a position in your wardrobe:
- A cool snug-fit gym tank top is specifically made by the activewear manufacturer to facilitate the airflow between your body and the clothing item. This well-designed tank top style can help you remain cool, dry, and fresh throughout intense workouts by preventing sweat and a nasty body odor. Whether you aim to build an athletic physique under the supervision of a professional trainer or simply want a healthy body with exercises at home, this particular style can help.
- One of the coolest and most modern types of tank tops that most fitness enthusiasts and athletes love to wear today is the athletic workout tank top. Of course, by pairing it with different types of bottom wear, you can look great, but it looks the best with gym shorts. These tops are carefully crafted from a breathable, lightweight, and durable material so that you can experience the best wearing them.
- Performance V-neck workout tank tops are constructed specifically with comfort and mobility in mind. This style is ideal not only for the gym but for running and outdoor activities as well. Wearing them, you can even do your daily household activities with ease.
- The hooded bodybuilding tank tops are in high demand these days. Other than being sleeveless, they feature a hood and give a total ‘’bad boy’’ look (perfect for men craving such an appearance). These multi-purpose tanks not only look and feel amazing during workouts but help in casual dressing as well.
Smart Tips for Styling Tank Tops
Want to know how to style tank tops on different occasions? Take a look at the points given below:
When Heading to The Beach
Have plans to go to the beach? Settle for a tank top with a bold tropical pattern or a fun and vibrant print and combine it with solid-colored swim shorts or trunks. A straw cowboy hat and flip-flops are all you are going to need to look picture-perfect!
For Hitting The Gym
Tank tops are specifically designed for gym performance. To get a voguish look wearing one, pair a moisture-wicking tank top that allows for ease of movement and breathability with matching athletic shorts and complete the outfit with performance sneakers. Such an outfit will not only give you a stylish but comfortable look as well.
An Enhanced Street-Style
Consider using layering techniques for a more high-fashion take on men’s tank tops. Combine a printed or solid tank top with a fashionable bomber jacket or a lightweight shirt. For bottoms, pick well-fitted chinos or jeans and finish it with a chic pair of sneakers or boots. This outfit will not just talk plenty about your style sense but will add a touch of sophistication to your street style.
A Casual, Everyday Look
Partner a solid-colored tank top with a well-fitted pair of shorts or jeans for a casual and everyday look. Pick loafers or sneakers as footwear and accessorize with cool sunglasses or a modish watch. This popular combination gives off a laidback vibe while maintaining a stylish edge. From meeting friends at the nearby cafe to taking your girl on a casual date, you can sport such a look at almost any everyday event.
Choosing The Best Bodybuilding Tank Tops
Into bodybuilding? Grabbing a bodybuilding tank top can help you stay cool and comfortable. To get hold of the best ones, remember these suggestions:
- The tank top should fit you snugly but not too tightly. It will ensure optimal walkability and airflow. Go for a size that fits well but isn’t too small or large.
- Opt for a tank top that is crafted out of a sweat-wicking, breathable material. It will help you stay dry and comfortable throughout your workout.
- To ensure longevity and durability, look for a tank top with quality construction and reinforced seams. Go for pieces that are fabricated from strong yet lightweight fabrics as it will help you to achieve the best balance of durability and comfort.
- To lessen chafing and irritation during workouts, go for a tank top with flatlock seams.
Care and Maintenance of Your Gym Tank Tops
Always check the care instructions on the label before washing the gym tank tops. Next, separate the tank tops by color. Use gentle detergents that are specifically designed for performance fabrics. Never use fabric softeners as they can lessen the moisture-wicking abilities of the tanks.
Now that you know almost every little detail about tank tops, it’s time to rock the fashion scene gentlemen!